Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Robinson Holds Student Walkout

Senior Muna Ali speaks to students attending the walkout. “I was very happy with the turnout,” said Ali.

Amid the tension and increasing dangers of the ongoing Gaza conflict, many students have spoken out and provided a platform to express their views on the subject. Across Fairfax County, numerous schools have organized walkouts in efforts to spread awareness of the conflict and share their voices.

Earlier this month, FCPS Superintendent Dr. Michelle Reid released a statement, declaring that “we [FCPS] are resolute in our work to provide a learning environment where every student and staff member feels safe, valued, and respected… we will not tolerate antisemitism, Islamophobia, or racism… Our schools must be safe and welcoming spaces to learn for every student in our diverse and global community.” Reid also acknowledged the student walkouts that have recently taken place across Fairfax County high schools.

Senior Dina Musa speaks at the walkout. “Why would I stay silent when I can help educate people?” said Musa.

Robinson would be the latest to organize a walkout of its own, when on Nov. 9, almost 150 students gathered in front of the school in an event organized by the Muslim Student Association (MSA). “As a school with a smaller Palestinian population, I wasn’t sure that we would get as many students [to attend]. But I was very happy with the turnout,” said MSA treasurer Muna Ali. These students in attendance were hoping to become a part of “an opportunity to spread awareness of what was going on [in Palestine]”, according to Ali.

Occurring just over a month after Israeli forces entered the Gaza strip, the central message of the walkout was simple: to give a voice to the Palestinian students at Robinson to be heard by the student body. “It was intended to educate, it wasn’t a place to express hate,” said MSA secretary Layla El Alami.

Those who organized and spoke at the event hope that this walkout inspired people to take action when they discover something they are passionate about. “It was nice and reassuring to know that people were interested and cared about the cause and learning more,” said Ali. “Our voices might not be powerful enough to make a huge change, but that wasn’t our intention. We just wanted to spread awareness for what we believe in.”

While the MSA does not currently have any future events planned, El Alami says that the best thing for students to do is to educate themselves. “Talk to people, or read history textbooks. Always try to learn more.” Ali echoes El Alami’s thoughts, encouraging students to “fight for what you believe in. No matter what, you shouldn’t feel like you can’t fight for what you believe in.”

About the Contributor
Colin Beenhouwer
Colin Beenhouwer, Deputy Editor-in-Chief
Colin is a senior at Robinson. This is his fourth year of high school journalism, where he is the sports editor. He plays soccer for Robinson and likes listening to music.