Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

New Student Life at Robinson

Navigating a massive school is a daunting task. It is easy for students to become disoriented and confused. Robinson tries to assist new students through the Rambassadors club, as the actions of other students may be the most important factor in a new student’s ability to adjust to the school.

What is being a new student like?

Genevieve Visser, a sophomore attending Robinson for the first time said, “I would describe my first few days at Robinson as a bit disorienting, from the bus, where people sat three to a seat, to the main hall that felt like a raging sea.” The immense size of Robinson is a recurring theme. 

New students can have trouble integrating into the community, as breaking into already established friend groups and cliques can be a difficult task. However, being involved in clubs, sports, and other activities may help. 

The Rambassadors Club

One of the ways Robinson tries to integrate new students is through the Rambassadors Club. Each student is assigned a student ambassador, who acts as a mentor to the student to help guide them through the first few weeks of school. According to Duke Voyer, a member of the club, “the Rambassadors club is essentially a group that helps new students adjust to the environment at Robinson. We do this by assigning mentors to new students to help show them where their classes are, help them find their interests at school, and help them adapt to their new environment.” 

Voyer was also asked how he has seen students struggle. “Many new students may struggle with making new connections at Robinson, which can isolate them and make the new school feel threatening… it is important for Rambassadors to support these new students and introduce them to clubs and organizations where they can meet new people with common interests,” said Voyer.

What can you do?

One of the best ways to make new students feel at home is to welcome them with open arms. “When it comes to welcoming new kids you don’t have to do much. If you spot a new face in your class, give them a quick hello, maybe ask them where they’re from,” stated Visser. Simple, small actions like this take no effort, but can make a huge difference.

About the Contributor
Samuel Clark
Samuel Clark, Staff Writer
Samuel Clark is a sophomore at Robinson. This is his first year at the school and his first year in journalism. Sam's interests include playing guitar, skateboarding, and cooking. He is looking forward to an exciting new year on the Valor Dictus staff.