Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Going Gold for Vivian

A Profile on Robinson Junior Vivian Seay

Best described by her friends as supportive, encouraging, real, and funny, junior Vivian Seay, maintains a positive outlook despite her recent diagnosis. The Robinson community and beyond continues “going gold for Vivian” to spread awareness for Seay and all forms of pediatric cancer.   

Last year, Seay was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the bones. During the 2023 spring lacrosse season, Seay started experiencing frequent calf pain, which she thought to be a result of her ACL tear the previous year. However, once the calf pain was combated with growing nerve pains, she knew it was time to schedule a doctor’s appointment. Several doctors appointments later, Seay was scheduled to receive a biopsy, which determined she had a tumor. 

Ever since her diagnosis, Seay has been in and out of the hospital every other week for check ups and treatments, completing her schooling online. She says she has to have a lot of self motivation and maintain integrity when it comes to completing her school work virtually, no matter how hard the days get. Junior Abby Meehan says, “I think she has a really strong work ethic, both with her mentality and all that she’s been through and just life in general, like school and sports. She’s super determined and always gives her all to everything she does.” 

Seay acknowledges how being out of school and having to spend a lot of her time in the hospital has been hard. “It’s just not really what you saw yourself doing so you just kind of have to get used to it,” said Seay. “It just becomes normal I guess.” 

Friends, Family, and Coaches  

Though Seay addresses that her priorities have changed since her diagnoses, she does not let her situation define her. Some of Seay’s closest friends have shed light on what they believe makes her so special, speaking to her strength and positive attitude throughout her journey. “She’s very strong and she never gives up on anything,” said junior Leila Medrano. “No matter how hard life gets, she never loses who she is.” Outside of school, Seay enjoys playing lacrosse and field hockey, painting, hanging out with her friends, painting her nails, and going on walks. 

Seay’s friends also believe that her charisma and humor are unlike any other. “She’s probably the funniest person I know and she’s always able, even if you’re crying, to just make you smile,” said junior Olivia Kockaya. “She’ll just say something that’ll make you laugh and you automatically feel better.” 

Medrano and Meehan’s favorite memory with Seay is when the girls went to the Harry Styles concert last year with Seay’s whole family. They spent the day walking around New York City and learning all the words to the album as Styles is Seay’s favorite artist. “Looking back now, I feel so emotional because it was probably one of the best experiences of my life,” said Medrano. Kockaya’s favorite memory with Seay was their freshman year of field hockey. “We would be best buddies,” Kockaya said. “We would talk a lot during practice before and after and we would just always make each other laugh.”  

In addition, teachers alike recognize the ways in which Seay is an outstanding student and classmate. Seay’s freshman Geometry Honors teacher, Alexia Small, says, “Vivian is an outstanding student. In addition, she brings to the classroom environment a kind and welcoming attitude. She’s resilient and always thoughtful in her questions and works well with everyone in the room.” Small expresses how Seay would always arrive to class interested and ready to work. She says she is the type of student she can count on to do the right thing even when no one is watching. “She’s that responsible student [that] if I ever had a substitute, I would leave her name to keep everyone on track and know what’s going on,” said Small. 

Small believes Seay’s best qualities include her hard work ethic and her attention to detail as of which can be seen in everything she does. “It was really obvious in her math work and I also remember seeing Vivian’s creative nail art and the details and the care she put into that shows her outstanding qualities like attention to detail and care,” she said. 

Small used to volunteer at Laurel Ridge Elementary school when Seay was in school there, so she has gotten to watch Seay grow over the years from elementary school and into high school. “Vivian is kind and caring and welcoming and a hard worker and she exemplifies our Ram Values here at Robinson,” she said.

Sports Life

Not only does Seay hold these qualities in her day to day life, but also out on the field. Seay has been on the lacrosse and field hockey teams since her freshman year, getting an even earlier start to her high school sports career by managing the lacrosse team in middle school. 

It was prevalent to her field hockey coach that she was a great defender, leading to her securing a spot on varsity at the end of her freshman year. Though her ACL tear affected her sophomore year and her recent diagnosis has affected this year’s season, field hockey coach, Lindsay Arnsmeyer, says she has gotten to watch Seay grow throughout her time in the program. “It’s just a pleasure to watch how she has matured in the different aspects of field hockey and not just seeing her as an athlete, but as a holistic human,” she said.  

Arnsmeyer acknowledges how Seay adds to the team environment by saying, “she brings a positive attitude and she’s extremely helpful and willing to assist in anything that I need, especially with her current state, being a part of the field hockey program whenever she’s able to attend and come to team events.” Seay helps out the team when she can by assisting the younger managers, helping her teammates with warmups and drills, acting as a leader, being a great big to her little, and bringing with her an optimistic attitude each and everyday. “She stays true to herself throughout all of it and continues to try her best to continue her routine day to day like staying with school even though it’s online and tries her best to attend all the field hockey practices on the weeks when she doesn’t have chemo even if it’s exhausting for her,” said Meehan. 

Robinson Goes Gold

The Robinson community has rallied together in support of Seay, planning events and spreading awareness to help her through her journey. The Gold Out football game on Sept. 22, was held in honor of Seay. Senior Emma Yufanyi, SGA executive council member, was in charge of planning this event. Yufanyi worked alongside her SGA teacher, sports admins, and other SGA students to bring the event to life. In addition, she spoke with Meehan, Seay, and her family, to recognize and honor Seay in the way she and her family wanted. 

At the game, Seay walked out on the field surrounded by her friends and family. Robinson students and families held up signs and spoke words of encouragement, letting Seay know she is not alone. “I hope the outcome of the events will be that people can realize that it’s important to be aware about issues like childhood cancer because it is so common and cancer touches everybody in their life at least once,” said Yufanyi. “Hopefully with all of the support that Vivian knows that she has and her family knows that there’s a whole community praying for her and hoping that she gets better, hopefully that will be the outcome, just a lot of love and support.”  

Vivian as an Inspiration     

Seay inspires her friends, teachers, peers, and beyond as she continues to fight and find positivity in this unfamiliar situation. “I have to say that she’s been a big inspiration to me and to a lot of people because no matter how hard this gets she keeps living her life as usual,” said Medrano. “She hasn’t forgotten who she is and she has a really good attitude.” According to Seay, the days when she feels tired and not 100 percent herself have been among the hardest parts of her journey, but she keeps going. “She’s just been really strong and courageous throughout this whole thing, even though it’s terrifying,” said Kockaya. 

Arnsmeyer believes that Seay inspires others as she moves through her journey, saying, “whenever I’ve seen her she always seems like she’s in a positive mood and she hasn’t allowed her circumstances to really affect her mood or her outlook and I think that’s really admirable.” Moreover, Arnsmeyer says that, “she’s able to approach it each and everyday with a positive light and she’s extremely the type of kid that lives in the moment and is really grateful for every opportunity she has.” Small thinks she encourages others with her determination, hope, and bravery.  

Seay recognizes the amount of love and support she has received from friends, family and the community, a positive she finds amidst the challenges. “The positive is you really become aware of how many people support you and how many people care about you and how much you care about yourself to get yourself through it.” 

Seay serves as an inspiration and source of strength for all and teaches us what it means to persevere and make the most out of life’s challenges. There are over 12 types of major childhood cancers and more than 100 subtypes that need our help and attention. Spreading awareness and donating if you are able can help make a difference in the lives of cancer patients all over the world. If you wish to continue supporting Seay, visit her donation site at https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/vivianseay

About the Contributor
Gracie Lewandowski
Gracie Lewandowski, Managing Editor
Gracie Lewandowski is a senior at Robinson. This is her fourth year in journalism and she is currently the Managing Editor for Valor Dictus. She has been on the Robinson Girls Varsity Tennis team since she was a freshman and loves the sport and all the girls on the team! As a military child, Gracie has been able to travel outside of the country, gaining an appreciation for different cultures and life in general. Besides traveling and tennis, she enjoys spending time with friends and family, hanging with her dogs, shopping, and binging TV shows.