Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

The Iconic History of Versace

When it comes to high fashion luxury brands, only a few luxury brands became recognized and appreciated as much as Versace has. Loved and celebrated for its classic designs, and innovative creations, the Italian luxury fashion house has left an imperishable mark on the fashion industry over the decades and the boundless creativity, iconic styles, and the enduring legacy of its founder, Gianni Versace.

Early Life

Gianni Versace was born on December 2, 1946, in Reggio Calabria, a small town in southern Italy. His mother, Francesca Versace was a dressmaker, and his father, Antoni Versace, was a salesman. From a young age, Gianni was said to have shown a passion for fashion and design and often helped his mother in her dressmaking business. Little did he know that this was his early exposure to the world of fashion that laid the foundation for his future success.

The Birth of Versace

In 1978, Gianni Versace, with the support of his older brother Santo Versace, founded the Versace company. The brand quickly gained recognition for its classic, bold, and innovative designs, characterized by vibrant prints, bold colors, and a daring use of materials. According to Sixty Six Magazine Versace’s designs were a celebration of “Luxury and Glamour ” Versace Medusa Logo was introduced In 1978, Versace showcased the iconic Medusa logo, symbolizing the brand’s allure and power. This logo corresponds with the Versace name and reputation and is still widely recognized today for its iconic logo print and designs. Gianni Versace moved to Milan in the early 1970s to pursue a career in fashion. His first job was as a designer for a textile manufacturer. During this time, he honed his skills and developed a skill for fabric and design. In 1978, he launched his first solo collection under “Gianni Versace.”

The Muses of Versace

According to Vogue UK Gianni Versace’s muses were the iconic 90’s models Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Helena Christensen, Linda Evangelista, Carla Bruni, and Donatella Versace. Gianni Versace saw beyond these models and their physical attributes, Versace sought models who exuded a fierce sense of self-confidence and individuality. Gianni Versace looked for models who were not just canvases for his designs but collaborators in bringing his creations to life. In Each muse, there was something Gianni loved. According to Yahoo news, Gianni believed that these models made his designs “powerful and elegant” and made him feel so. Not only that, these models were his friends and had been very close to him throughout his career. These models were chosen and were even begged to only work for Versace because they shared the same intention that the brand wanted to put out, making them the muses of Gianni Versace.

Tragedy and Resilience

In 1997, the fashion industry was left shocked by the tragic murder of Gianni Versace, just outside of his Miami Beach mansion. The death of Gianni Versace struck and left the fashion industry in mourning. But his impact and legacy continued to thrive under the leadership of his sister, Donatella Versace, who took over as The creative director of Versace. Along with her brother Santo Versace, they continued to expand and modernize the brand, and making sure that Versace remained at the forefront of the fashion world.

Legacy

Versace’s contributions to the world of fashion are immeasurable. His creative and bold designs, most known for breaking boundaries, and fearless approach to fashion have left a lasting impact on the fashion industry. Today, Versace remains a symbol of luxury and classiness, with a worldwide presence that extends far beyond the world of clothing.  Gianni Versace was more than just a fashion designer; he was an innovator who revolutionized and dominated the fashion industry with his bold designs and his commitment to the quality and luxury of his work. His legacy lives on through the brand, as well as in the inspiration he continues to provide a strong influence to countless designers and fashion enthusiasts around the world. Gianni Versace will forever be remembered as a true fashion icon and a visionary who built one of the most celebrated and enduring fashion houses in history.

About the Contributor
Hermon Yemane
Hermon Yemane, Staff Writer
Hermon Yemane is a sophomore at Robinson and this is her first year in journalism. Hermon enjoys reading books, watching Gossip Girls, listening to Lana del Rey, baking, and Pinterest. Hermon is looking forward to her first year in journalism, and can't wait to learn more about it.