Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Senior Six Word Memoirs

How can one sum up their entire high school experience in only six words? It’s a lot to think about. To concentrate four years of ups and downs in less than a sentence is far from easy. If you’ve taken English 9 or 10 honors, you may remember writing your own memoir at the very beginning of the year, capturing your entire life on a large index card. While you may not remember the memoir itself, you may remember yourself sounding out the words, counting on each finger to ensure the poem doesn’t go over the principal word limit, or fall short. But that’s the ultimate beauty of the poem; when you don’t have a lot to say, what you say will have to be what’s most important. 

You really can do hard things

This memoir belongs to senior Amelia Freund, and is a testament to the challenges of high school and particularly in senior year. “Growing up my mom’s motto for me and my sister was ‘you can do hard things’” said Freund. As she grew older, Freund learned the wisdom in her mother’s words, which continue to drive her to pursue her goals in her education, and strive to challenge herself by going above and beyond in all that she does.

Grocery list: macaroni, cheese, and highlighters 

This is the memoir of senior Paige Donovan, who uses her six words to recognize both the rigor and the fun which high school brings. The grocery list is a reference to the newfound responsibilities which come throughout high school as you become an adult and prepare to take your life beyond. Macaroni and cheese represents the enjoyable aspects, going to school events, hanging out with friends, as well as the new independence which is paired with the responsibility. 

Lessons learned, challenges yearned, friendships burned

Senior Alex Lozano uses this memoir to holistically describe his high school experience. Lozano thanks his teachers who’ve guided him on his journey through high school, and gotten him to where he is today. He compares the bonds he’s created with his teachers and peers to welding metals together, forming lasting relationships throughout high school. “[We’re] all put in this big school, and throughout all these different activities and classes, you become friends.” said Lozano. 

Each senior took a unique approach to the same prompt, using each word to imprint their character and show what’s valuable to them. Every senior, student, and in fact, every person, has their own unique story to tell, so let me ask you: What will your six words be?

About the Contributor
Soma Fulwiler
Soma Fulwiler, Design Editor
Soma is 17 years old and a junior at Robinson this year. This is his third year on the Valor Dictus staff, and his second year as a design editor. He is a big swimmer, and hopes to make the Robinson Swim Team this year.