Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Valor Dictus

Heartthrobs of the Summer

Team Conrad or Team Jeremiah?

Who’s the Better Brother?

Love triangles have always been an iconic and fan-involving part of entertainment. The TV series The Vampire Diaries had Elaina and the entire audience of the show choosing between Damon and Stefan, and readers and watchers of The Twilight Saga tore each other apart if their opinions on Jacob and Edward didn’t align with one another. Even in the early 1600s, Viola couldn’t choose between Duke and Orsino in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night

In June of 2022, the first season of The Summer I Turned Pretty aired on Prime Video. The series, based on the book trilogy by author Jenny Han, follows Isabelle “Belly” Conklin through her annual summer-long stay at the house in fictional Cousins Beach (heavily inspired by Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard) owned by her mother’s best friend, Susannah and her two sons Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher. Conrad has a quiet and overprotective presence while keeping most of his thoughts to himself, a stark contrast to his younger brother Jeremiah with his magnetic and outgoing popularity. While Belly’s long-lasting crush on Conrad has been at the front of her mind until now, this summer changes things when she begins not only falling for one, but both Fisher brothers. This past summer, the release of the second season once again inspired argument-inducing and friendship-ending debates over the one big question: Are you Team Conrad or Team Jeremiah? 

How does Robinson feel?

Out of 25 interviewed Robinson students, there was a majority of preferences towards Conrad, but that didn’t stop senior Alyssa Proulx from bashing him and his mood swings and obvious commitment issues throughout the season. “Conrad can’t make up his mind and he’s flaky,” she said. “Belly deserves better than that.” 

While Season 1 ended with Belly’s heart in Conrad’s hands, Season 2 had her pining after Jeremiah, possibly changing the viewer’s perception of the characters, but one student has been a strong Conrad supporter since day one. “Conrad and Belly just make sense,” said senior Jake McDade. “They are real passionate love. Jeremiah is simply a rebound to a love so strong it will never truly be over. Conrad is perfect in every way for Belly, he is the peanut butter to Belly’s jelly.” 

Whether you’re swooning over Conrad’s brooding wit or enchanted by Jeremiah’s sunny charm, one thing’s for sure. These two heartthrobs have left an undeniable mark on the summer of everyone who encountered their storyline. So let’s root for Team Love Triangle, so we can keep alive the ultimate summer showdown: are you Team Conrad or Team Jeremiah?

About the Contributor
Harper Ellis
Harper Ellis, Staff Writer
Harper is a senior at Robinson and it is her first year in high school journalism as a staff writer. She is a member of Robinson's varsity softball team and will be continuing to play at Johnson and Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island while majoring in Media and Communications.