Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Assassin’s Creed 3 Impresses Fans

Tim White, Production Editor

America is in a state of turmoil. No, not the current political mayhem in this country, but Colonial America where it is chaos and of course, the Templars are behind it.

Assassin’s Creed 3, the fifth installment and third numbered installment produced by Ubisoft Montreal, takes the Assassin’s to the time of the Revolutionary War. For those who aren’t familiar with the plot of the series, present day assassins are attempting to prevent a 2012-apocolypse by hunting down ancient era keys. The protagonist, Desmond Miles, is able to access memories of his ancestors to look for the keys by using a device called Animus.

Gamers spend the majority of the game playing as Ratonhnhakéton, who thankfully changes his name to Conner, a half British, half Native American young man as he attempting to protect his village from the evils of the Templars and the British. Conner travels to Boston where he meets an old man named Achilles, who then trains him to become a member of the Assassins.

Through Conner, gamers experience a surprisingly delightful twist between historical events and fighting action. The storyline follows major events of the American Revolutionary moment including, the Stamp Act, the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere’s ride and the battle of Lexington and Concord.

Conner is also introduced to several important historical figures in the game, including Paul Revere, Sam Adams, George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Hancock, George Washington and Charles Lee. Ubisoft does a truly remarkable job at bringing these characters to life in a way unlike any other historical dramatization could accomplish. Gamers feel right at the center of the American Revolutionary movement as Ubisoft combines gaming and history.

In addition to the storyline, the gameplay is aesthetically stunning. The graphics and motion art are up to date and significantly realistic. The effects are lifelike, sharp and clear. Transitions from setting to setting are almost instantaneous. Unfortunately, there are glitches to every game. In an attempt to cross a river, my horse got stuck   in the middle of it and leaving him unable to get out.

Although these glitches are annoying, they are nothing when compared to the true nature of the game. Ubisoft has done an extraordinary job of creating a historically accurate storyline whilst combining it with modern day relativity.