Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Taken 2 is Must-See

Europa Corp

Danielle Nelson, Features Editor

The Mills family needs to stay at home.

Only months after his daughter is kidnapped and sold into the human trafficking industry, Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson), former CIA agent, and his ex-wife, Lenore (Famke Janssen), and daughter Kim (Maggie Grace) attempt to reacquaint themselves with normality.

Bryan goes on a business trip in Turkey and invites his family to join him once it is over to relax and enjoy the city.

Meanwhile plans have been put in place by the fathers of the many men Bryan killed on his quest to find his daughter in the original “Taken,” to kidnap and then kill him, his ex wife and his daughter.

For obvious reasons, “Taken 2” is unrealistic. Despite the majority of people’s phones not working in foreign countries, the movie goes one step further and implies Bryan keeps a phone with him after being kidnapped, as though kidnappers wouldn’t ensure he had all possessions removed from his person.

This movie was action packed. There were many intense fight scenes in which Mills fought off countless antagonists who get in his way. These scenes are interesting and provide the film with a sense of edge and excitement, but are ultimately too lengthy and numerous to hold the audience’s interest for more than a few minutes without a new event occurring to promote the action.

The film could have definitely been much longer. Its 90 minutes long and a lot of the scenes feel rushed and as though more explanation could have been helpful to the audience.

Another interesting point to the film was both the methods Mills used to figure out where he was in the city.

Mills used Sherlock Holmes esc. tactics to find his location in the city, memorizing turns while counting the seconds that had passed with a bag over his head.

Despite the occasional plot hole, the film is overall well cast and superbly acted.

Neeson once again portrays his role of a father to fear with the upmost conviction and quality.

Though he plays such a serious and icy character, Neeson makes himself likable to the audience through showing the softer side of Mills, the family man. In the start of the film we see Mills count the minutes until he picks up Kim for her driving lesson, while later, movie viewers witness him pull a gun on countless strangers who are trying to kill them.

The multiple angles we see of Mills help the audience to empathize with him, not simply be impressed with how many bad guys he can punch in the face.

Dynamic roles, such as that of Bryan Mills and Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia series, are what keep Neeson movies hits in the box office.