Battle for the Better Phone: iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3

Kimberly Williams, Entertainment Editor

With Apple’s release of the highly anticipated iPhone 5 in September, there seems to be a shortage of phones. Apple predicted to sell 10 million devices, but did not seem prepared for the large demand. Many students preordered their iPhone to make sure they would have it immediately, while others are waiting until the holiday season to ask for one. Some students, however, are going in a different direction with their phone choices. Apple’s main rival, the Samsung Galaxy S3, seems to be another popular choice of phone. Both phones are top-of-the-line, but which one is better?

Both the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 have many similar features. Both phones include an 8.0 megapixel camera and a front-facing camera for “selfies” and video chatting. They also both have voice demand systems. Apple uses Siri and Samsung uses S-Voice. Another feature they share is maps. The Galaxy uses Google Maps, while the iPhone uses Apple’s own version of maps, which lately has been criticized for poor function. Apple’s CEO Tim Cook has commented that Apple “fell short” when trying to create their own maps application.

“I would choose the iPhone because of the operating system, even though Android can do more. iPhone is much more user friendly,” junior Patrick Grimes said.

Neither phone comes cheap, with both phones starting at $200 with a contract, but several hundred dollars more without a contract. Many smartphone fans demand phones with thinner bodies but bigger screens. The iPhone 5 weighs 112 grams, is 7.6 millimeters thick and has a screen size of 4.0 inches. The Galaxy S3 weighs 133 grams, is 8.6 millimeters thick and has a screen size of 4.8 inches. With either device, buyers must compromise on some of the dimensions of the phone to either have a thinner phone with a smaller screen, or a thicker phone with a larger screen.

“I have the Galaxy S3. It’s fast and has a big screen. I like the Android system better than Apple- I don’t really understand the Apple system,” sophomore Jae Hu Kim said.

Another major difference in the phones is the internet access providers. The iPhone 5 now uses LTE, while the Galaxy S3 supports 4G. Speed tests which compare the two phones constantly differ. This is mainly because the speed of the phone ultimately depends on the carrier, such as AT&T or Verizon.

“I like the iPhone 5 better because it has faster internet. The screen is also taller, the battery life is better, and it can hold more of my music,” sophomore Darian Dolansky said.

Each device offers special features unique to the phone. Ultimately, the decision is in the hands of the buyer. When it comes down to it, it seems that a majority of students prefer the iPhone, but both devices are excellent choices for a top-of-the-line smartphone.