Bravely Speaking to the Robinson Community

Valor Dictus

Girls’ Lacrosse fights uphill battle

Linsay Webb

Linsay Webb

Junior Goalie Lauren Rauch blocks a shot from Chantilly. Although Chantilly led in the first half, the Rams were able to defeat the Chargers 15-11.

Joe White, Staff Writer

The girls Varsity Lacrosse team is off to a 3-8 start and is 2-3 in district play, losing their last game to Oakton 22-6. They have won three of their last five games and Coach Elizabeth Case believes that the team’s record is not indicative of the effort the team has put in.

“Our record doesn’t reflect the way the girls have played and how they have been improving,” Case said.

Case believes the teams rough start to the season is partially due to the fact that she is new to coaching at Robinson.

“I think the slow start has to do with the fact that it is my first year coaching at Robinson,” Case said.

Case believes that the team has improved immensely and become a well rounded group.

“In the beginning people felt we weren’t as competitive as we are, but we can play anyone and be competitive with them,” “We have a strong defense and midfield but we are a complete team,” Case said.

Sophomore Maggie Hyland believes the team has come a long way from the beginning of the season as well.

“We have slowly become a team, and I love at first we were struggling to find what we were doing wrong,” Hyland said.

Hyland feels that keeping a positive attitude and being accountable for one another’s actions the team will continue to grow and succeed.

“Taking accountability as individuals and as a team has helped us come closer together,” Hyland said.

Hyland also thinks that the respect the team has for coach case has been a big part of their success in their last few games.

“We have a very talented coach, we have gotten used to her and she has helped us get motivated,” Hyland said.

Senior and one of the four team captains, Campbell Collier attributed the teams slow start to a change in the teams mentality from the previous season.

“We had to adjust to each other there was a different mentality last year and different role models to pick up the teams intensity,” Collier said.

Collier believes that the team has fought back against the adversity and believes that they have become a contender in the district.

“We decided that we weren’t going to be pushed around and over looked,” Collier said.

Collier feels the team has trouble fixing problems on the defensive end of the field.

“We have trouble fixing problems on defense, we don’t struggle to find out what we are doing wrong, it just takes time to fix stuff on the field,” Collier said.