WMZQ’s WinterFest

Stefanie Chae, Kids-In-The-Hall Editor

Wearing plaid, country boots and hats, fans of country music all gather at WMZQ concerts to listen to artists singing an eclectic mixture of funny and romantic songs.

Sophomore Shelby Stadsklev said she thinks about her upcoming first WMZQ event every day. She expects an amazing experience since she has meet and greet passes and third row seating.

Sophomore Patrick Grimes describes WMZQ fests as exhilarating. “There is usually a big mess of people and they’re usually all in a happy mood since its country music,” he said.

An all-star line-up, including country music artists Rodney Atkins, Kellie Pickler, David Nail, Thompson Square, Josh Thompson, Sonia Leigh and Kip Moore will perform at the Patriot Center Dec. 10 for the WMZQ WinterFest.

Grimes does not expect as many people drinking at this event, since it is held indoors rather than on a

“I want to see how people handle it [in doors],” Grimes said.

Stadsklev assumes the musicians will be more focused on the music than interacting with the crowd since the audience would be seated in a stadium style. The performances would be short and more concert styled.

“I expect it to be more uptight since it is not taking place outdoors,” Stadsklev said.

Grimes said he has high expectations for the upcoming event.  “Country musicians really have to know how to put on a good show. They have to make it exciting,” he said.

Stadsklev said she appreciates country music because the performances are entertaining and the artists are not auto tuned.

There are different ticket price ranges. The floor seating tickets range from $55 to $67.30, while concourse seating ranges from $30 to $55.

Tickets can be purchased at www.patriot.centerboxoffice.org and online ticket retailers. Tickets can also be won when calling and texting in to FM 98.7 at specific times of the day.

Grimes said there are three different types of country fans; ones that are enthusiastic about it, ones that only listen and like it when there is a country event going on and the ones that can tolerate it from time to time.

He describes himself as a country fanatic.  Grimes has never missed a WMZQ event since he was seven years old. He doesn’t only like country music when there is a concert happening, he listens to it all the time.

With all the different genres of music, students may have different opinions about each genre.

Stadsklev said this is an opportunity to listen to and experience different bands of a genre some students may not listen to frequently.

Grimes recommends people to go to Winter Fest because there are people who love country music and because people can get away from reality for one night.